Translate

Saturday, August 22, 2015

James C. and Martitia Stout

My husband's fourth great-grandmother was a Stout. (Sarah Stout, born about 1807 in North Carolina, to be specific.) His Stout family is actually proving to be rather difficult to research. (All I have is a name and an estimated birth from a census!) To help try and figure out the family, I started working researching all the Stouts in the area hoping I may come across the right Stout family. That's how I found this branch.

James Calvin Stout is an in-law of an in-law of an in-law in my husband's tree. I actually have two James Calvin Stouts in the tree, but for this post I'll stick to the younger one. He was born about 1862 to Calvin Newton Stout (son of the older James Calvin Stout) and Emily J. Bray.

James married Susana Martitia Brown on 25 September 1881 in Randolph County, North Carolina.
Clipping from the Randolph County, North Carolina Marriage Record Book
I don't know anything about her except her estimated birth (about 1862) from census records. I do know that, together, they had at least four children.
  • William Oscar Stout, born about 1884
  • Fannie Stout, born about 1893
  • Leslie Stout, about 1897
  • Annie Stout, about 1902
Clipping from the 1900 Census
Clipping from the 1910 Census
It seems from the census that for his entire life, James lived in Columbia, Randolph County, North Carolina. (I have yet to find him in the 1880 census, but I have a feeling if I comb page-by-page through the Columbia census of that year, that I will find him.)

He was listed as a farmer, as was his father before him. Since he was too young in the 1870 census to be a farmer in his own right, and I have yet to find him in the 1880 census, I do not have any agriculture census records for James. I hope to look into his father's records a little more to see if I can guess what kinds of crops James may have tended, but that's a post for another day.

James died on 8 March 1935 in Columbia, North Carolina. His cause of death was myocarditis, but I can't read one of the contributing factors. I can tell it says "and broncho-pneumonia," but I can't make out the first word.
Clipping from Death Certificate of James Calvin Stout
I hope to ask someone with more of a medical background about this later to see if they can make it out.

Sources:
  • 1870 Columbia, Randolph County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • 1900 Columbia, Randolph County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • 1910 Columbia, Randolph County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • 1920 Columbia, Randolph County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • 1930 Columbia, Randolph County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • Death Certificate, James Calvin Stout (accessed on Ancestry)
  • Marriage Records for Randolph County, North Carolina (accessed on Ancestry)

No comments:

Post a Comment