The first time I find Martin Southard enumerated by name in the census records is 1850.
|Clipping from 1850 census|
Then, living just one page over, there is Martin's future wife, Ruth Ball.
|Clipping from 1850 Census|
|Clipping from Marriage Record|
Based on the 1860 census and a couple of death certificates I have found, Ruth and Martin had (at least) the following children:
- W. W. Southard (born c. 1853)
- H. W. Southard (born c. 1855)
- Wiley Southard (born c. 1857)
- Melindia Southard (born c. 1858)
- Sarah Frances Southard (born November 1860)
- 1850 Hotel, Surry County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- 1860 Dobson, Surry County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- Death Certificate, Sarah Southern Jenkins (accessed on FamilySearch)
- Death Certificate, Wiley Southard (accessed on FamilySearch)
- North Carolina Marriage Records (accessed on Ancestry)