Translate

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Martin and Ruth B. Southard

Martin Southard was born about 1838 in Surry County, North Carolina. His parentage was originally thought to be Job and Morning Snow Southard, but their son Martin doesn't seem to be the right age as my husband's Martin. Because of this, I think Martin's father was John Southard (mother's name is currently unknown).

The first time I find Martin Southard enumerated by name in the census records is 1850.
Clipping from 1850 census
Here, you can see 12-year-old Martin, living with John, whom I assume to be his father, and Martin and Elizabeth, whom I assume to be John's parents.

Then, living just one page over, there is Martin's future wife, Ruth Ball.
Clipping from 1850 Census
Ruth and Martin got married on 22 February 1852 in Surry County, North Carolina.
Clipping from Marriage Record
By 1860, the family moved to Dobson in Surry County.

Based on the 1860 census and a couple of death certificates I have found, Ruth and Martin had (at least) the following children:
  • W. W. Southard (born c. 1853)
  • H. W. Southard (born c. 1855)
  • Wiley Southard (born c. 1857)
  • Melindia Southard (born c. 1858)
  • Sarah Frances Southard (born November 1860)
I struggle to find them in the 1870 census, but I am still investigating this family. With the question of Martin's parentage looming, I have a feeling this family will be a strong focus of mine all weekend. If I happen to find any more information on this family today, I will edit the post and add it in. Otherwise, I will save any new findings for another post.

Sources:
  • 1850 Hotel, Surry County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • 1860 Dobson, Surry County, North Carolina U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
  • Death Certificate, Sarah Southern Jenkins (accessed on FamilySearch)
  • Death Certificate, Wiley Southard (accessed on FamilySearch)
  • North Carolina Marriage Records (accessed on Ancestry)

No comments:

Post a Comment